Whether you are a new landlord, or an experienced property investor, it is important to remember that tenants always have a choice of properties available to them. Kentish Flats recommends that you follow some simple steps to ensure your property is presented in the best possible way.
Basic points such as ensuring your property is clean and tidy, to the option of adding additional touches, all have an impact on how your property is viewed and the potential to secure a tenant.
General points to consider
- Stick to light and neutral colours for paintwork and ensure it is clean (including doors)
- Make sure the house and garden are clear of rubbish – waste removals in Kent
- Ensure all carpets are clean
- Ensure curtains are clean and hung correctly
- Make sure everything is in good working order – hire an electrician
- Ensure surfaces and cupboards are clean
- Arrange for the windows to be cleaned and lights to be working this presents the property in the best light
- Gardens should be tidy and if it is laid to lawn, consider providing a mower so that tenants can keep this tidy – see our FAQ
- When landscaping new areas keep them low maintenance as this is often more appealing to tenants
- Pay particular attention to kitchens/bathrooms as these are of particular interest to tenants
- Consider providing towel rails/mirror/shelving in the bathroom – click here for ideas
- Providing white goods e.g. fridge/freezer, washing machine, dishwasher is a plus for tenants
- Make available any manuals for tenants to use items such as cookers, appliances, central heating systems – read about being a landlord
- Ensure that your property has a full set of window/garage/door keys
- Ensure that the local authority has been notified prior to 1st occupancy and refuse/recycling bins are ordered
- Areas not to be include in the let (such as loft space) should be stated and secured with locks where possible
Please bear in mind that any connections/installations/fittings provided by you will remain at the property once the tenant has left. It is also worth noting that it is worthwhile fitting your own mirrors and bathroom fittings, otherwise the tenant is entitled to remove these from the property when vacating thus leaving unsightly holes/marks on the walls.
Our ‘New Build’ Property Information Form provides a simple and quick guide to identify the basic items that you may wish to consider when preparing a new build property for rental in order to budget correctly. There are several considerations that may well require a portion of your finance and which can easily be overlooked.
At Kentish Flats we can always help with guidance on the best way to present you property, as well as being able to assist with purchase and installation of items or decoration. Please contact us for telephone numbers of approved Kentish contractors if you need help with any works.